For some of us each run at the resort is like listening to a jazz band play a live show: it's spontaneous, making decisions on the fly, like where to carve, where to slash, and how fast to roll into that side hit. The easiest way to describe it is that you simply get into the groove, and like a musician riffs on their stand-up bass, the K2 Instrument is the snowboard that you need to navigate the contours of the terrain as they come.
Before we talk tech, let's talk about shape. This directional model from K2 features a traditional camber line and utilizes our Volume Shift design to add just the right amount of width to the board for laying trench on groomers without reducing responsiveness. A longer radius in the tip of the board eases turn initiation, while a deeper sidecut underfoot helps to rail hard arcing turns. The Instrument features a .75" inch (1.9 cm) set back and 20mm of taper to help it plane out in the deep stuff.
Now, about the tech. It all starts with a hard, fast Sintered 4000 base with a full 360 degree wrap steel edge. Inside, a sustainably sourced Bambooyah core is equal parts durable and damp underfoot. Carbon Torque Forks extend out from the binding inserts to the edges of the snowboard at 45° angles for responsive power-transfer while maneuvering through tricky terrain, and the entire package is wrapped in ICG 10 Biax Fiberglass with tip-to-tail carbon stringers for chatter reduction and to deliver stability when it gets a lil' rowdy.
- Bambooyah Core: Sustainably harvested bamboo, aspen, and paulownia combine to deliver a damp and responsive feel. Our Bambooyah cores are backed by a 5-year warranty against breakage.
- ICG 10 Biax Carbon Glass: Integrating Carbon Fiber stringers that run the length of the board into our fiberglass increases the snap of the snowboard without adding unnecessary rigidity.
- Carbon Torque Forks: Carbon stringers extend at 45° angles from the inserts toward the tip and tail, adding responsiveness and stability at all speeds.
- Hybritech Sidewall Construction: A K2 exclusive. By transitioning from a P-Tex sidewall into a capped construction in the tip and tail of our snowboards, we are able to reduce waste while giving our snowboards better energy transfer and making them more durable than our competitors.
- Sintered 4000 Base: Hard, fast, and durable, our Sintered Base material holds wax better than extruded materials, increasing speed and glide.
- Volume Shift: We reduce swing weight and toe/heel drag by shifting surface area from the tip and tail to the waist of the snowboard. Downsize from 4-10 cm from your usual snowboard length.